In today’s article, I’m sharing some of the best instant pot fish recipes. Packed with fresh vegetables and healthy ingredients, these recipes are flavourful, nutritional and will quickly become your favourite!
Before we jump to the recipes, I’d like to discuss a few cooking instructions related to fish.
It’s a common myth that fish can be cooked in any manner and the end result would be the same.
To begin with, fish should always be cooked at a minimum internal temperature of 145°F.
You can check the temperature using a food thermometer.
Another sign is to see if the meat has turned opaque and easily separates using a fork.
If the fish has turned opaque, it means light can’t pass through it and it doesn’t look clear and shiny.
The usual time for grilling, broiling, poaching, and baking is 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
For fish that’s unthawed or frozen, the general rule of thumb is to double the cooking time i.e. 20 minutes per inch.
Microwaving fish remarkably reduces the cooking time. When opting for this method, simply follow the recipe/package instructions for best results.
The best tip I can give you when cooking fish is to remove the visible fat and the skin. This helps in reducing the exposure to contaminants.
Once done, continue to bake, grill or broil the fish as usual.
Allow the fat to drip off when cooking.
Steer clear of using the fat for sauces or gravy.
For more information on the best method to cook fish, see the infographic here:
Healthy Instant Pot Fish Recipes
These easy instant pot fish recipes are perfect for daily cooking and also when you’re entertaining.
Instant Pot Fish
A perfect recipe for a busy day, this recipe requires few ingredients and half an hour of your time.
Time required: 30 minutes
1 bell pepper, cut into large pieces
½ white or yellow onion, cut into large pieces
1 carrot, cut into circles
4 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow squash zucchini, cut into circles
1 zucchini, cut into circles
2 fish fillets (halibut, cod or tilapia), washed, skinned and deboned
½ tsp fresh basil, finely chopped
½ tsp seasoned salt
Tip: It’s a good idea to keep the vegetables of the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Line a pot pan with parchment paper before adding the vegetables on it.
- Drizzle olive oil, half the basil and salt on the vegetables.
- Use dry paper towels to pat the fish fillets. Sprinkle the leftover salt on them.
- Line another pan in the cooker with parchment coker and lay the fish fillets on it. Drizzle the leftover basil and olive oil.
- Pour 1 – ½ cups of water in the instant pot before placing both the pans in it.
- Close the pot along with the steam valve set the pressure for 25 minutes and allow to cook on high pressure.
- Check the fish if it looks flaky and opaque. If not, let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the fish immediately with vegetables on the side.
Instant Pot Cod with Steamed Vegetables
Enjoy a hearty dinner within 10 minutes using this recipe. One of the best instant pot fish recipes, it guarantees to deliver flaky, tender and delicious result always. Serve it with steamed vegetables, parsley sauce or some good ol’ baby potatoes!
Time required: 7 minutes
Black pepper, to taste
½ tsp coarse sea salt
200 g fish fillet cod (frozen salmon, tilapia, mackerel or haddock)
- Thoroughly wash the fish using cold water to deglaze. If you’re using a variety of fish for this recipe, make sure that they are separated and are not clumped together.
- Begging by placing the trivet in the pot and adding 1-2 cups water depending upon the minimum water requirement of your instant pot.
- Add the fish and season with pepper and salt.
- Close the lid and cook the fish on high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Serve the fish with parsley sauce, chopped dill, melted butter, steamed vegetables or a lemon wedge.
Steamed Fish with Kale and Miso Butter
Aromatic kale and miso butter bring out the flavours in this recipe. The best part? Meat eaters and vegetarians can enjoy this recipe alike!
Time required: 20 minutes
A bunch of kale, stems removed, leaves roughly torn
1 ½ tsp miso paste
2 white fish fillets
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp soy sauce
1 clove of garlic, sliced
3 tsp butter
1” piece of ginger, julienned
1 cup chicken or broth
- Add garlic, ginger and broth in the instant pot. Place trivet on top and a small piece of aluminium foil.
- Add the fish fillets, next to each other on the foil and drizzle soya sauce on them. Season with pepper and salt.
- Close the lid and cook for 7-10 minutes depending on the thickness of your fillets.
- Meanwhile, prepare the miso butter by mixing miso paste with butter.
- Check the fish after releasing the pressure. Once done, drizzle lemon juice on the fillets.
- Remove the trivet from the instant pot and switch it to the ‘saute’ mode. Once simmering, add kale and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the kale has wilted. Remove the kale using a slotted spoon or tongs. Season with pepper and salt.
- Arrange the fish fillets in a plate. Add the kale on top and serve immediately with miso butter.
Instant Pot Salmon with Greens and Garlic Potatoes
This is one of our favourite low calorie instant pot fish recipes.
Time required: 30 minutes
4 cups mixed arugula and baby spinach
4 cloves of garlic, minced
½ tsp lemon zest, grated
¼ tsp paprika
4 salmon fillets (5-6 ounce, 1 inch thick)
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 ¼ lb red-skinned potatoes, quartered
A few lemon wedges
- Begin by placing the potatoes at the bottom of the instant pot. Add a cup of twitter along with 2 tablespoons of butter, pepper and ½ teaspoon salt. Place the steam rack over the potatoes.
- Rub the salmon fillets with lemon zest, salt, paprika and pepper. Put in the lid and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Check the salmon and remove once done. Switch the instant pot to ‘saute’ mode at normal heat to let the potatoes cook. Add garlic once the potatoes start sizzling, stir and cook until softened or for about 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of butter with pepper and salt. Use a wooden spoon or fork to smash the potatoes into chunky bits.
- Remove the instant pot from the fire. Toss the mixed greens to the potatoes and stir until wilted or for about 1-2 minutes. Season with pepper and salt.
- Place the salmon fillets in plates with greens and potatoes. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Instant Pot Fish Biryani
What’s a better way to end a day other than with aromatic basmati rice cooked with spiced fish garnished with caramelized onions?
Time required: 60 minutes
2 cups of water
⅕ tsp Kosher salt
½ jalapeno, sliced
1 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
¼ cup ghee
2 cups Basmati rice
2 lb Salmon or Halibut, cut into 1” steaks
For the marinade:
¼ cup plain yoghurt
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
10 mint leaves, chopped
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp fenugreek leaves (dried)
½ tsp turmeric
1-2 tsp garam masala
3 tsp ground coriander
3 rsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp garlic, pressed
1 tbsp ginger, grated
¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
To make the raita:
3 tsp cilantro, chopped
½ tsp kosher salt
2 tomatoes, diced
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 cups plain yoghurt
- In a bowl, mix yoghurt, lemon juice, cilantro, mint leaves, salt, fenugreek leaves, turmeric, garam masala, ground coriander, red chilli powder, garlic and ginger. Evenly coat the fish with this marinade and keep in the refrigerator for some time.
- Rinse and soak the rice for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in the instant pot after switching it on the ‘saute’ mode. Add the onions and stir for 7-8 minutes or until they’re caramelized. Remove half the onions and keep aside to garnish the biryani.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ghee to the remaining caramelized onions that are still in the instant pot. Toss in dill and miz until the pot is deglazed. Add the marinated fish along with jalapeno. Add water, salt and rice. Give it a good stir.
- Close the pot and cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Garnish the biryani with cilantro and remaining caramelized onions. Serve with Raita and lime wedges.
Instructions to make the Raita:
Whisk the yoghurt in a medium-sized bowl. Add salt, tomatoes and onions and mix until well combined. Garnish with cilantro.
Instant Pot Lemon Herb Fish
This elegant recipe is high in protein but low in fat and carb making it one of the best instant pot fish recipes. Delicately seasoned fish fillets are served on a bed of onion rings and sliced potatoes. Lemon slices add the required burst of flavour and colour while thyme adds the element of fresh decadence.
Time required: 18 minutes
2 tsp olive oil
1 pinch black pepper
2 pinches salt
3 potatoes, washed, peeled and thinly sliced
1 white onion, sliced into delicate rings
4 sprigs of thyme
4 grouper fillets
1 lemon, sliced
1 ½ cups water
- Pour water into the instant pot before placing the trivet.
- Line parchment paper at the bottom of the streamer. Arrange the lemon slices onto the paper. Add the fish fillets on top of the lemon slices. Next, add onion slices and thyme sprigs and potato slices on top of the fish fillets. Season with pepper and salt and drizzle olive oil.
- Lower the streamer onto the trivet.
- Close the pot and cook on low pressure for 7-8 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Instant Pot (Frozen) Salmon
This recipe takes out all the fuss from frozen salmon and makes for a super quick and healthy family meal.
Time required: 10 minutes
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp salt
3 tsp butter
1 bunch of fresh dill weed
4 fillet salmon
¾ cup of water
3 medium-sized lemons
- Add ¾ cup water and ¼ cup lemon juice at the bottom of the pot before placing the streamer.
- Place the frozen salmon fillets on the steamer.
- Sprinkle fresh dill along with a slice of lemon on each salmon fillet.
- Close the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with pepper, salt, lemon, dill and butter.
Tip: you can serve on a bed of grilled asparagus and cherry tomatoes for additional flavour.
Instant Pot Fish Curry
Inspired by the traditional Indian fish curry, this coconut milk-based will delight your tastebuds with a tinge of tartness. Increase the heat by adding more serrano chillies or jalapeno.
Time required: 20 minutes
1 ½ lb fish fillets (any firm fish like haddock or cod cut into 2” pieces)
1 cup of coconut milk
2 tbsp water
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 cup tomato, chopped
½ jalapeno or serrano chilli. Slit or sliced
1 tbsp ginger
1 tbsp garlic
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup onion, chopped
10 curry leaves
Cilantro leaves, chopped
- Pre-heat the pot using ‘saute’ mode.
- Add coconut oil and allow to heat, before adding the curry leaves.
- Add green chilly, ginger, garlic and onions and stir until the onions turn translucent.
- Mix in the tomatoes and cook until they start breaking down.
- Add salt, black pepper, turmeric, cumin and coriander powders.
- Continue to saute until fragrant, no more than 30 seconds.
- Deglaze using water.
- Add the coconut milk and fish pieces. Slowly stir the pieces until evenly coated with the sauce.
- Close the pot and cook for 2 minutes on high pressure.
- Once done, add lime juice and give it a good stir. Be careful not to break the fish.
- Remove the curry into a serving bowl. Garnish with tomato slices and cilantro. Serve with rice.
Instant Pot Haddock with Spinach
This healthy and quick recipe is full of everything you need to make a balanced meal within a few minutes. For such an easy dish, it’s loaded with nutrition and flavour.
Time required: 15 minutes
1 tsp kosher salt
3 tsp oil or ghee
1 cup of water
1 cup Basmati rice
For the fish:
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups frozen spinach
1 lb frozen haddock (or tilapia or cod) fillets, ½” thin and cut into 4 pieces
For the mayonnaise:
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Place the fish out of the refrigerator to defrost.
- Wash the rice and drain. Place the oil, salt, water and rice in the instant pot and stir.
- Cut 4 pieces of aluminium foil that can wrap the fish into pockets. Divide the spinach evenly for the four sheets. Place the fish on the spinach, drizzle oil, pepper and salt on each piece and close the packet. Close the packets into long rectangles ensuring the package will not leak.
- Place the streamer on top of the rice. Add the packets of spinach nd fish on it in a single layer.
- Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add lemon juice, garlic and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Keep the sauce aside.
- To plate, divide the rice into 4 bowls. Place the spinach and fish from each packet into each bowl of rice. Pour the juice on top. Drizzle with the sauce and serve.
Instant Pot Lemon Pepper Salmon
This will be your new favourite way to cook salmon as this recipe comes together easily with the silkiest texture!
Time required: 15 minutes
1 carrot, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
½ lemon, thinly sliced
½ tsp pepper
1 zucchini, julienned
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp ghee
1 lb salmon
A few sprigs of basil, tarragon, dill and parsley
¾ cup of water
- Add water along with the herbs in the instant pot before putting the streamer. Place the salmon on the streamer.
- Drizzle ghee and season with pepper and salt. Add lemon slices on top.
- Close the pot and set it to ‘steam’ mode and steam for 3 minutes.
- Remove the salmon onto a plate and discard the water and the herbs.
- Place the vegetables in the pot on ‘saute’ mode for 2 minutes.
- Serve the vegetables with salmon.
These instant pot fish recipes are tender, quick, easy and delicious.
Enjoy juicy fish within minutes that you can prepare even on your busiest days as they require very little supervision.
Do let me know which was your favourite recipe in the comments section below!
P.S: Do try Fish Recipes For People Who Don’t Like Fish