12 High Protein Foods to Add to Your Diet [INFOGRAPHIC]
Post pandemic, a lot of people have become very health conscious. Most of us are always more inclined towards losing weight. We end up getting into this race of cutting down on carbs and fats. We tend to forget one important component that our body needs daily: Protein. Our body has trillions of cells. The creation and maintenance of which requires protein. Therefore, high protein foods are an essential part of our daily nutrition.
Protein makes up about 17% of our body weight. Primarily found in our muscles, important internal organs and skin. It is also very much found in our nails and hair. Eating high protein foods not only increases fat metabolism but helps in speedy recovery after any injury. Good Blood sugar, as well as hormonal regulation, are among the reasons one must consume more protein.
A protein-rich diet is a great source of energy. There are several protein-rich foods which come from both plants and animals. It is important to understand how much protein your diet requires and how you may achieve it. Not everyone requires the same amount of protein. It depends on various factors such as weight, age, gender and most importantly, your health.
4 Best High Protein Foods For Non-Vegetarians
Here are some of the high protein foods for non-vegetarians:
- Chicken Breast: Chicken is a meat which is one of the most commonly eaten protein-rich foods. Its breast is the leanest part. It contains protein and is carb-free. 3 ounces, that is, 85 grams of skinless and roasted chicken breast will provide you with 27 grams of protein. Besides protein, chicken is also rich in phosphorus, Vitamin B6 and selenium. Few studies have also shown that having chicken on a high protein diet may help reduce weight.
- Egg Whites: Almost every healthy person’s diet includes this food. Whole Eggs are among the most high protein foods. They are not just protein-rich. They are also a good source of vitamins, antioxidants and minerals too. All of which are in the yolk. Egg white, on the other hand, is almost pure protein. It contains about 60% of the egg’s protein. 100 grams of egg whites will provide you with 11 grams of protein.
- Fish: Seafood is an excellent source of protein. Each and every seafood, from scallops to prawns provides a lot of protein to the body. Salmon fish provide 20.4 grams of protein per 100grams. It is the most preferred choice because of omega-3 fats. These fats help with the health of your heart. Fish is also rich in iodine, selenium and Vitamin B12. People with a fish-heavy diet also tend to have a reduced risk of heart diseases and type 2 diabetes.
- Turkey breast: Very similar to chicken, turkey breast is also mostly protein. 100grams of Turkey breast will provide you with 28 grams of protein! Turkey is low fat and also low calorie. It is a good source of selenium and zinc. It is also rich in Vitamins B6 and B12.
Top 4 High Protein Foods For Vegetarians
Following are some of the best high protein foods for vegetarians:
- Almonds: Almonds are a very protein-rich tree nut. 1 almond has 0.25 grams of protein. not just protein, almonds are heavily rich in antioxidants. They are also a good source of Vitamin E which is good for your eyes. They also reduce the risk of heart issues, bad cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- Dairy Milk: As we all know, Milk is very nutritious. It has almost every nutrient. Be it vitamins, minerals or protein. 30ml of milk provides close to 1 gram of quality protein. It also provides calcium and Vitamin D which are not easily found in many diets. It helps improve bone health as well as boost muscle repair. Some studies have also said that milk lowers the risk of obesity.
- Greek Yogurt: This thick strained yoghurt is extremely high in protein. It is also rich in selenium, Vitamin B12 and riboflavin. In comparison to regular yogurt, this has more protein and fewer carbs. 100 grams of this yogurt will provide around 10grams of protein. As per research, it also helps with good digestion and bone health. Greek yogurt may also help with weight loss since high protein foods are very filling.
- Cottage Cheese: This low-calorie cheese is not only rich in protein but also important nutrients. It contains Vitamin B, selenium, phosphorus and calcium. One cup of cottage cheese can provide you with 28 grams of protein. Plenty of weight-loss diets have cottage cheese. It also helps with muscle gain and can increase bone strength.
Top 4 High Protein Foods For Vegans
Below are some high protein foods for vegans:
- Quinoa: Quinoa seeds come in several varieties. They are often called complete or nearly complete proteins. This is because they have all the amino acids that our body can’t make by itself. One cup of cooked quinoa can provide 8 grams of protein and 5 grams fibre. It is also a source of manganese and magnesium.
- Pulses: Pulses are one of the best sources of protein, vitamins and minerals. They are low-fat and fibre-rich. Studies have shown that regular lentil and legume consumers show a low risk of developing heart and liver disease. These high protein foods are a must add to your diet if you are a vegetarian. There is a huge variety of pulses that vegans and vegetarians can choose from:
- Beans: Provide around 7 to 10 grams of protein per 100g.
- Lentils: A solid 8 to 9 grams of protein per 100g.
- Garden Peas and Chickpeas: they provide 7 grams of protein per 100g.
- Tofu: Tofu comes from soy milk. Soybeans are said to be whole sources of protein. You can cook Tofu in several ways and is a rich source of protein. 100 grams of tofu can provide you with 8 grams of protein. Tofu is also a rich source of calcium and manganese. Tofu helps to reduce cholesterol and is also linked with reducing the risk of certain cancers. Tofu may also protect you against type 2 diabetes.
- Chia Seeds: These tiny seeds of the chia plant have a lot of quality protein in them. They not only have lots of fibre but also omega-3 fatty acids. This means that they help reduce the risk of heart diseases and diabetes. Just two tablespoons can provide 4 grams of protein. They contain all 9 essential amino acids.
What 5 Foods Have The Most Protein?
Foods that have the most protein depend on various sources and the amount of their intake. Some are complete proteins while some are more nutritionally whole. Lean meats, as well as poultry, are very good sources of protein. Seafood is a very protein-rich animal source. Almost any sea-food item provides a lot of protein. Dairy products are a nutrient-rich and easy-to-consume option for vegetarians. They can be in various food items and in different ways. They provide an immense amount of quality protein.
Nuts and various seeds are a perfect option for vegans. They can be easily included in your daily diet with every meal. Finally, legumes and beans. Legumes and beans are also very rich sources of proteins and several other minerals. These are five types of high protein foods that you could include in your diet.
How Can I Eat More High Protein?
Along with carbs and fats, it is very important that you consume high protein foods too. In fact, people who work on muscle building or are recovering from an injury, need even more proteins than normally required.
You could try incorporating protein into your diet by using dairy products. You may either go for cow’s milk or soy milk. Milk is very versatile. You can use it in different ways. You could make a shake or smoothie. If not milk, You could consume it in cheese.
Try replacing rice with quinoa. Try making nuts and seeds a part of your daily meals. Always try to achieve a balance. If you are having too many carbs, pair them with proteins. For instance, Shrimp Pasta.
Which Fruit Has Most Protein?
Guava! This fruit is the most protein-rich fruit. One cup of guava can provide you with about 4.2 grams of protein. For a fruit, that’s very rich. This fruit is also extremely rich in Vitamin C. It is a powerhouse when it comes to vitamins. Guava is also an amazing source of fibre and has lots of antioxidants. Guava is also low in calories and has a very small amount of fat. There is no doubt why guava is among the best-known superfruits.
Guava is super easy to find and even easier to eat! You could also make juice out of it or make a salad.
Is Rice High In Protein?
Rice has been a part of our diet for plenty of years. It is an important food staple for millions of people all across the world. Although, rice doesn’t include just one variety. Rice is broadly discussed in terms of either brown or white rice.
White rice is often considered unhealthy. It goes through heavy processing and therefore loses its important nutrients. This is not the case with brown rice. Wild/brown rice is said to have 40% more protein content than white rice. It is also said to have 30% fewer calories. So, white rice doesn’t lack protein but doesn’t have enough of it. It is richer in iron but brown rice is definitely a healthier option to go for.
Which Vegetable Has The Most Protein?
Green peas! Green peas are not just a source of fibre. They are also packed with protein. 1 cup of green peas can provide you with 8.6 grams of protein. They are also a rich source of vitamins and minerals. They are low fat and low cholesterol as well.
Green peas are also very helpful in improving eye health. They also help in boosting immunity and help you feel fuller. The Vitamin C in them is perfect for your skin too! Therefore, add this green vegetable to your daily diet and increase your protein intake. Don’t forget to add it to your pasta next time you cook.
All in all, it is important to have a healthy balance in life. Several factors in your lifestyle affect the number of nutrients that your body may require. Protein from animal products is much more likely to fulfil your body’s demand for protein. Since our body tissues are similar to theirs. Not all of us prefer that lifestyle though. Therefore, there are several plant alternatives that are as good as animal-based protein.
High protein foods are generally filling and thereby aid weight loss. So, to all those people out there who are just focusing on cutting carbs and fats. Focus on adding protein to your diet too. The recommended dietary allowance for protein consumption is about 0.8g of protein per kg of your body weight. Therefore, know your diet. Work on it and try to make the best choices. Protein is vital for bones, muscles and the rest of your body as well.
This infographic visually explores the best high protein foods to add to your diet.
Paridhi Maheshwari is a content writer at F and B Recipes and Snazzy Women. She’s an aspiring journalist aiming to cover human interest stories through the power of her words.