Gourmet Hot Cookie Dough with Browned Butter & Sea Salt
Dive into the world of gourmet delights with our Hot Cookie Dough recipe. A step up from the same chocolate chip cookies that you’ve been eating for years, this hot cookie dish will melt in your mouth. With a finishing sprinkle of sea salt and browned butter for added flavour, you’ll never want to go back to regular cookies. Discover what lies between frozen cookie dough and perfectly-baked cookies, and you may never go back.
What is Hot Cookie Dough?
Hot cookie dough is a warm, gooey dessert that’s essentially the middle-ground between a baked cookie and its doughy precursor. Popularized by chain restaurants like Pizza Hut, hot cookie dough is a larger version of a traditional cookie, usually served in a deep dish pan. It’s partially baked to the point where the edges are crisp, but the center is a hot, doughy consistency. It’s served directly out of the oven and often paired with ice cream to cool the center, so you don’t have to wait any longer to take your first bite.
And it’s hard to get sick of cookies. But if you’re looking to switch it up from spoonfuls of mouth-watering cookie dough or just want to try a new chocolate dessert, this hot cookie dough recipe is a delectable alternative. Let’s get to it.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt, plus extra flaky sea salt for finishing
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks (70% cocoa and above)
- ½ cup roasted, chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional, for added flavour)
- Zest of 1 orange (optional, for added flavour)
- Ice cream for pairing (optional)
- Browning the Butter – In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium flame. Once melted, continue to cook, swirling the pan occasionally, till the butter becomes a deep golden brown colour and smells nutty. Watch it closely to ensure it doesn’t burn. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Mix Wet Ingredients – In a large bowl, whisk together the browned butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until well combined. Add the eggs slowly, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Combine Dry Ingredients – In a separate bowl, combine the baking soda, flour, ½ tsp fine sea salt, espresso powder (if using), and orange zest. Gradually mix this into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add the Cookie Toppings – Fold in the dark chocolate chunks and roasted hazelnuts.
- Preheat Oven – Set your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake – Spread the cookie dough in a cast-iron skillet or a shallow oven-safe dish, aiming for a thickness of about 1-1.5 inches. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. The edges should be golden and set, but the center should remain a little gooey.
- Serve – Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with a pinch or two of flaky sea salt. This gourmet touch enhances the browned butter flavour and complements the dark chocolate perfectly. Serve while still warm, optionally with a scoop of premium vanilla or espresso ice cream.
The combination of browned butter, sea salt, dark chocolate, and hazelnuts is a sophisticated twist on classic cookie dough, making it a truly homemade, gourmet experience. Enjoy your hot cookie dough and let us know how much you love it!