This delicious and hearty Aubergine and Caramelised Onion Cracker Pizza is a meal that vegetarians and meat-eaters alike will enjoy.
Makes: 4 pizzas
For the pizza base:
2 ready-made thick pizza bases
For the Tomato Sauce:
¾ tsp salt
1 cup ready-made tomato puree
¾ tsp oregano
¾ tsp pepper
1 ½ tsp garlic, crushed
4 tbsp olive oil
For the topping:
4-6 cheese slices, sliced thinly
1 ½ cups cottage cheese sprinkled with ½ tsp red chilli flakes and ¼ tsp salt
6 long, thin aubergines, sprinkled with ½ tsp salt
2 onions, sliced
6-7 flakes of garlic, crushed
- To make the sauce, mix all the ingredients together in a micro proof bowl. Microwave for 4 minutes. Keep aside.
- For the topping, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Add onions and ½ tsp sugar. Continue to cook while stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and keep the caramelised onions aside.
- In the same pan, fry the aubergines till golden brown in 2-3 tbsp olive oil.
- Cut the pizza base thinly into 2 rounds, using a bread knife. To cut, first, mark all around with a knife and then slowly cut through.
- Brush olive oil on the cut side and grill the pizza base for 5 minutes till slightly crisp. On the ungrilled side, spoon some tomato sauce over a pizza base, leaving ½” all around the edges.
- Top it with cooked onions and aubergines. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle roughly mashed cottage cheese and arrange the cheese slices all over the pizza.
- Bake at 220°C/450°F for 6-8 minutes or until crisp. Cut into wedges and serve hot.
Don’t miss: Nutty Veggie Hot Dogs
Shristi is an avid reader, recipe developer and wellness enthusiast. She’s probably making a mess in her kitchen right now.